sexta-feira, 18 de abril de 2014

Solitude



The first book that gave me that nice feeling of disappearing and being completely inside the story was "The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor", From Gabriel Garcia Márquez. It was a mandatory reading for my 6th grade class and for me it was a huge challenge. It was the first time I would have to read a non-children's book. After this first experience I wanted to read other books from him so I dived directly into "One Hundred Years of Solitude". This was the first thick book I read. You know, those beautiful books that look amazing on your shelf. The 12-year-old-me couldn't help but to be admired by how many things this man had to tell. I was also surprised because it was not boring at all! I was very interested in listening to him. I was also surprised because I started experiencing feelings and emotions that I had never felt before. One of those feelings that I had for the first time with "One Hundred Years of Solitude" was this melancholy or nostalgia. Something we call "saudades" in Portuguese. While I saw the calm life of Macondo passing by, I started missing not only those characters, but also my own life. I started missing things that I had not yet experienced. The 12-year-old me missed his college years and his first love. He started missing his children's baby years and his parents after they died. I still have this feeling. I still miss things that I haven't yet experienced as if I know they will be brief. As if we were all very brief in this world. Maybe I already had this feeling inside me before I've met Gabriel, but he was the first one to put this into words and present it to me. And for that I will be always grateful. He is a genius! So long, Gabo! We will miss you!

‪#‎Gabo‬ ‪#‎GabrielGarciaMárquez‬ ‪#‎OneHundredYearsOfSolitude‬

Nenhum comentário: