Today it is Thursday, or, how the Germans call it: Donnerstag.
When I first arrived here in Germany, I came straight to Berlin. And I must tell you I was quite impressed by the city. Of course I loved all the monuments and the people and all that. But I was expecting something else. I was expecting Germany to be different. I didn’t think that here I would see trash in the streets or people crossing the street when there is a red light. But yes… These things happen here in Germany. I mean, in Berlin. That is what all my German friends told me when I talked about this with them. “Dude, you are not in Germany! You are in Berlin! Here you have a whole other world!” And this is true! Actually, I think here we have the perfect amount of disorder. In Portuguese, we say that sometimes the exception confirms the rule. And I think that Berlin is the exception that confirms the rest of the country.
Berlin is so unique that the traditional dish here is the Dönner, a Turkish origin sandwich. Well, I wouldn’t call it a dish; it is more like a street food. And don’t get me started with the curry wurst (sausage fried and served with ketchup and curry). In my days here I have seen people eating that only once or twice. But the Dönner is a top choice for our late snacks!
So, a Dönner is basically a huge sandwich made with Kebab, sauce and lots of salad! It is huge! According to my good friend Anne Marie, it is a complete meal! Indeed, you have salad, protein from the meat and the carbohydrate from the bread. And it is very cheap! It is my favorite Berliner meal!
Why am I talking about all that, you may ask… Well, today I start our first Dönnerstag (Dönner day, in German)! I want to make a huge Dönner of everything I can find on the internet which is interesting. And I will post here the links to those pages. The idea is that I can share with you, guys, interesting things that I have seen during my week. And I also want to receive suggestions, so, please, comment and tell me if you know of anything really nice you want to share here in our Dönnertag. I would love to receive your feedback and to get to know new things because of Dönnerstag.
So, shall we go? This is our Dönner for the week:
- This Google-Glass video (I feel weird watching it...)
- This short-video about how Google Glass can interfere in our future (and feeling way weirder about that!)
- These cute cats explaining us why job hunting sucks!
- this old CNN article about which are the coolest nationalities ever (guess who are the coolest?)
- reading Gala Darling telling us about how her trip to LA was (I love her blog)
- seeing kit kat becoming a work of art, in this great marketing idea!
- reading about Margaret Thatcher legacy on The Economist (and thinking that, even thought I do not agree with her liberalism view on politics, I believe we need leaders with strong and consistent convictions, like her)
- Watching this hilarious video about Cher's reaction to the misunderstanding on the hashtag #NowThatcherIsDead (some fans read it like #NowThatCherIsDead hahahaha)
And in Portuguese:
- the malvados strips
- Rio de Janeiro applying fines to those who throw garbage on the streets, whatcha think about this? Well, only last year the Municipality had to clean about three Maracanãs out of Rio's streets... So, I guess we could use some kind of public policy to teach our fellow citizens about how to behave
- Feel homesick while reading "Blog de nós dois" about this new restaurant in Brasília (and to discover that now we even have a bruschetteria, I guess future is here :P)
- reading my great friend Michelli write about her end of the year and wishing she could write more on her blog
Have a great day!